Ireland’s first ever school garden education conference
Saturday 5th October – Marino Institute of Education, Griffith Avenue, Dublin 9
10am to 4.15pm
School gardens are proving to be an important part of teaching an integrated range of subjects in an enjoyable and fulfilling way. It is interesting to note that school gardening will be on the UK curriculum from 2014. The format of the day is as follows and will include a comprehensive list of interactive workshops.
10.00am – 11.00am Registration, tea/coffee and looking at exhibits.
11.00am – 11.30am Key note speaker – Trevor Sargent
11.30am – 12.00pm Introduction of workshops.
12.00pm – 1.00pm Workshops
2.00pm – 3.00pm Workshops
3.00pm – 4.00 pm Workshops
4.00pm – 4.15pm Closure
LIST OF WORKSHOPS
1. “SEED TO SEED” – Seed Saving – Irish Seed Savers
2. “WORMS TEN, RATS ZERO” – The art of composting in schools – The Organic Centre.
3. “BIRDS, BEES, PONDS AND TREES” – Biodiversity’s in the school garden – KEEP (Kerry Earth Environment Project)
4. “TASTY CRUNCHY GREENS” – Ways to grow salads and herbs – KITTY
5. “SEEDING IS BELIEVING”- How to grow the TOP TEN FRUIT AND VEG – Sonairte Ecology Centre
6. “BATTLING SLUGS AND TESTING FAIR” -Science in the school garden. – Paddy Madden
The cost for the day is €50.00 which includes conference talks, workshops, lunch, tea/ coffee and a chance to meet the conference exhibitors. To register and pay please visit www.schoolearthed.ie or return the attached registration form to SEED Network c/o Paddy Madden, Marino Institute of Education, Griffith Avenue, Dublin 9.