An Introduction to Scything – Saturday May 27th – 10am – 4:30pm
This workshop moves from history and theory to bodily alignment and hands on use of the scythe. Learn about the history of the scythe from an Irish perspective and the effect of the industrial revolution on the production of scythes. Learn how to set the scythe up properly before we start on the fundamentals of proper mowing technique – how to stand properly and the movement needed to mow effectively so that back ache is avoided. Knowing what a sharp blade sounds and feels like is the next key skill to learn, and we will also touch on the dark arts of peening a scythe blade.
Throughout the day, the tutor will address questions, concerns or any particular challenges you might have on your own land. Progressive grass management, the proper drying and storing of the grass will give you some ideas of how to use the material on your own space. Scythes will be supplied but participants are welcome to bring their own.
- Confidence using the scythe
- An understanding of how to keep your blade in good condition
- Haymaking – how to dry the cut material so you can use it on your own land
- Progressive wildflower meadow management and all types of vegetation from grass to cereals and other fibrous plants
- Setting up a scythe
- How to use whetstones properly to keep a sharp edge on the scythe
- Mowing technique
- How to organise at home to dry and store hay
- A brief introduction to peening the scythe blade
Light shoes and gloves are recommended to wear.
If you would like to buy a scythe, they can be ordered ahead of the workshop here:
Bookings & Information
Our courses always get positive feedback from participants and you will benefit from on hand expert tutors with years of experience in their field. It’s a great opportunity to meet like-minded people and spend some time in our gardens, orchards and woodlands in beautiful East Clare.
You can book courses online or you can telephone us on 061 921866 or 921856.
- Workshop prices: from €80
- 10% discount for supporters.
- Workshops suitable for adults only – children under 18 years are not permitted to attend.
- There is a 100% refund for cancellations made at least 2 Weeks prior to the course date. No refund after that time.